Business visa and Trade license

Business Visa

You don’t need a visa if:

  • You are an EU citizen or a family member of EU citizen.
  • A family member/3rd country citizen needs a visa – so-called temporary residence. If a family member is an EU citizen, no visa is needed.
  • You already have a valid visa (study, work, business).
  • You have permanent residency in EU.

It is not possible to apply for the visa inside the Czech Republic. You have to apply at the embassy in your country of origin unless you are US citizens or certain other nations that are entitled to apply at an embassy outside their home country or you can apply from a country of which you are a holder of a long-term or permanent residency.

Required documents:

  • Passport valid for a minimum 18 months.
  • 2 passport size photos (3.5 x 4.5 cm).
  • Visa application form – You can find on the websites of the Czech Consulate in your home country.
  • Proof of residence in the Czech Republic: rental contract or owner’s permission.
    • If you can get a rental contract in the Czech Republic, great! Although it is not so easy. In that case, somebody can help you get the temporary address and register you. This document needs to be official and the signature of landlord needs to be notarized. We can help you with that.
    • Rental contract – signatures do not have to be notarized.
    • Owner’s permission – find the form on the ministry website.
  • Letter of Intent
    • You would need proof that you have a secured business and income in the Czech Republic. STRV will handle it.
  • Proof of funds
    • You will have to prove that you have at least 110,000 CZK (equivalent to 4,500 USD or 4,100 EUR) in your bank account. Ask your bank to issue an official document (header of the bank, stamp, signature) confirming the balance in your account. It is important that your name is on the bank account.
    • The document must be original with a stamp and signature — no printed electronic statement or email will be accepted.
    • Check the required amount in your currency using Google converter.
    • It is important to keep the required amount of money on your account during the whole visa process because you can be asked to prove the funds again.
  • Criminal records (already discussed in the previous chapter).
  • Trade license confirmation.
    • Check the information about trade license. It needs to be ready for your interview at the embassy and it needs to be done in the Czech Republic.
  • For non-EU citizens: Health Insurance from a Czech insurance company. When you hand over the visa, you need confirmation that you have medical insurance for your whole stay in the Czech Republic. The insurance can be bought online and ranges between 6,000 and 10,000 CZK/year.
  • You may additionally be asked for a medical check, but this is quite rare.


  • Passport and photos – Your job.
  • Visa application – You have to print, fill and sign it.
  • Proof of residence and letter of intent – The company will get these ready for you.
  • Criminal record (with apostille) and proof of funds – Your job.
    • These documents will be issued in your country. You will send the original by DHL to us, we would make the notarized translation and send it back to you by DHL. Some countries may have a locally based certified translator.
  • Trade license – You and company cooperate. The company will arrange it on your behalf, but you need to get the criminal record with apostille and sign the power of attorney.


  • When the documents are ready, you can book an appointment at the Czech embassy.
  • You will deliver all your documents to the embassy, and you go to the visa interview.
  • During the visa interview, embassy officials will want to know if you have a secured business if you understand what your basic duties and legal obligations are and if you have an understanding of the country’s cost of living, how to secure a flat, etc.


Trade License

You need a trade license (A?ivnostensky list) to work as a contractor in the Czech Republic. A trade license is mandatory for everyone, regardless if they are an EU or non-EU citizen.

The process is quick and easy, and the registration process can be done remotely without you needing to be in the Czech Republic because somebody with the Power of Attorney can apply on your behalf. We will help you with the whole trade license registration process.

Required documents:

  • A scanned copy of your passport (valid for a minimum 18 months).
  • Power of Attorney
    • We will send you this document in the Czech language, you will print it out and sign and then send it to us along the other required documents via DHL. Notarization is usually not necessary. (Notarization is required only when talking about so called general power of attorney which is not necessary.)
  • Business address
    • You need to have a registered address in the Czech Republic. We will take care of it and register you in one of our flats. Once you move to the Czech Republic, and you rent your own apartment, you would update the address to your place of residency.
  • Criminal Record (2x) – that is no older than 90 days.
    • It must be an original document with a stamp and signature. A printout of an electronic confirmation is not enough. You need to check if your country is required to go through the apostille process. (See below: What is an apostille?). As you would need the criminal record for Trade license and Visa as well, get 2 documents and apostille both of them. It would save your time.


Once all documents are collected, we will complete and file the trade license application on your behalf. This usually takes 5 days. We will inform you by email when this is completed.

EU citizens: After 3-5 working days, we will pick up the trade license, the so-called “vypis ze zivnostenskeho rejstriku”. From that moment on, you will able to send invoices. In the meantime, we will register you with the Tax, Social Security and Public Healthcare offices (takes a couple of days).

Non-EU citizens: After 5 working days, we will pick up the trade license, but it will not have an ICO (commercial ID) number. With this paper, you will be able to apply for a Visa for Business Purposes at a Czech embassy. After you receive the visa, and you move to the Czech Republic, we will need to return the Trade License Register to get your trade license with the ICO number. (This is required because the trade licensing authority needs to know whether the foreigner obtains the visa or not).

You can register different types of business. For IT professionals the best is 56 – a provision of software, information technology consulting, data processing, hosting and related activities and web portals

What is an apostille?
It is a certification that is used for the international acceptance of legal documents.
This is what it looks like:

Here is the list of states and their authorities that can issue an apostille:
You should call your local apostille authority and check whether they accept documents by email. This will save you a trip if you are in a different city than the apostille authority.